Friday, September 13, 2013

A Wisconsin Snapshot, Tuesday, November 8, 1960

Nixon was the one for the majority of Badger State voters.  He won the state handily.

Image from exhibit at JFK Museum, Boston, Massachusetts
 
Had I grown up in Wisconsin, I would have been pleased with this statewide outcome, just as I was with the results of a mock election in Mrs. Johnson's 5th grade class at Jefferson Elementary School in Warren Pa (pre-16365).  Nixon won in a landslide.  Classmate (and fellow member of the Saturday afternoon "Beat the Jelly" bowling group) Bob Feldman, however, expressed a sincere, outsized enthusiasm for JFK that easily overwhelmed the majority's tepid, sometimes defensive support of Nixon.  

I grew up in a solidly Republican family, although my 2 brothers, sister, and I all became Democrats by our mid-teens.  Dad, who died in 1999 never crossed the line from red to blue, but my mother, thanks to John McCain selection of the inane Sarah Palin as his running mate, voted for Barack Obama in 2008 and would have likely voted for him again had she still been with us.

No comments: